Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mrs. Nervous


The trip to the BI was a success for many reasons, not the least of which was that the kids got their together-rhythm back. But with elevations in the tens of thousands, trekking up hill on dirt/lava strewn trails and checking out scenic overlooks quickly earned me the new nickname, "Mrs. Nervous." Whoo-hoo, the kids thought they were hilarious and actually, their gentle teasing took some of the sting out of my constant reminders not to run, not to lean over, and not to climb the G.D. bars or railings at the top of the volcanic crater. I mean, really.

It was interesting though to have such a physical reaction to their carefree (and not even careless) adventuring. I hadn't anticipated how crabby and stressed I would feel watching them genuinely enjoy the great outdoors. My stomach lurched every time one of them approached the edge of a trail and a strong sense of vertigo overtook me as I reached out to pull them closer. And of course, their physical limitations and my new-found anxieties limited the kind of trails we chose. But there was no sacrifice in that--having the 5 of us experience the world together is what it's all about. Nerves and all.

No comments: