Friday, July 13, 2007

Monkeys



So far we've seen a baby hammer head shark (washed up on shore--yikes), sea turtles, a puffer fish (again on the shore--who knew they have huge buck teeth?) and loads of birds. But it's the monkeys we brought here who have had the biggest impact on our trip so far.

The kids are still adjusting to living in a different house with a different schedule and daily trips to the beach. It has not been without struggle. Their famous hours-long playing hasn't clicked into gear yet; there are frequent complaints of boredom and Ruby has whined hard about having to go to the beach every day. I think it's particularly hard for me because I grew up coming here and while I don't miss the days of laying out (wrinkles!) it is hard to have three young folks out of their routine and extra needy.

Jason and I are hoping that hitting the open, lava-strewn road will help shake us up and lend some new excitement to the trip. As accommodating and patient as my folks have been, I'm sure that they too will relish the quiet our leaving brings. When we return from the BI, my sister Alexis will be here and everyone's looking forward to her arrival.

More when we get back! Hope everyone is well.

No comments: